Thursday, February 18, 2010

Pink Ribbons

Breast cancer sucks.  And it worries me.  It has struck very close to home.  Because of this, I especially like to support breast cancer charitable and research organizations.  One of my favorite t shirts is one that says "Save the Ta-Ta's" from a breast cancer walk a friend of mine completed.  Who doesn't want to save the ta-ta's people? 

Last summer I happened to find a gorgeous Reem Acra gown for sale on Ebay at a ridiculously low price. I was absolutely compelled to buy it even though it wouldn't fit me and I didn't know what I would really do with it. 

Isn't she pretty?  I call her Pink Ribbons.

  
   
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  








I also happened to stumble upon a fantastic charity last summer called Brides Against Breast Cancer.  They accept your wedding gown as a donation and sell the collected gowns at events they hold across the nation.  Then the proceeds are used to make wishes come true for women who's breast cancer is beyond a cure.  I had the pleasure of attending their event last summer in Miami and they ROCK!

And poof, kismet, magic!  The reason I bought the dress, that at the time was unclear to me, became obvious.  I am going to donate this exquisite dress to Brides Against Breast Cancer.  It should fetch a handsome sum being that it's made of luxurious silk and the beading is incredibly detailed and made by a very skilled artisan's hands.  Need I mention that it's a dress with the pink ribbons built right in and being sold at  breast cancer event?!  Damn, that's just too good.

But I want to show it off a little first. :)  So, at our wedding I want to have a few mannequins/dress forms set up at the cocktail hour.  I would love to display our families heirloom gowns from yesteryear (i.e. my grandmother's wedding dress from the 1950s and my great-grandmother's gown from the 1920s).  Next to the gowns, I want to put a framed photo of each of them on their wedding days as well as recreate their bouquets to be placed artfully next to the gowns, hopefully evoking sweet memories and a few happy tears.  This to preserve and enjoy a little family history at such a special time.  Then next to the family gowns I want to display "Pink Ribbons" in all her glory and display a framed paragraph or two of what Brides Against Breast Cancer is all about.  I will include a note that says how the dress ended up in my possesion and how it will be donated and loved by someone new after our wedding.

Every once in a while things work out nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment or email me at prettyflowerspb@yahoo.com